Thursday, February 7, 2008

Friday's Coming

And with that comes a trip to Charleston! And not a trip that will involve training for work, either. This trip will allow me to partake in one of my favorite things: contra dancing.

The second and fourth Friday of each month, the Charleston Folk dance group holds a contra dance at the Ballroom Dance Club, which is located on Ashley Hall Road, off of Sam Rittenberg.

For a while back in the early spring and part of the summer of 2007, I was not able to get to Charleston. I closed the North Myrtle Beach store on Friday nights, and I was not happy about that. Then at the tail end of July, I started opening the store Friday mornings!

So I was looking forward to getting to dance on Friday, August 10th. August began, and I went to PLUS (PlanetChristmas Lights Up Symposium). I rode the coasters at Dollywood on August 1st, talked Christmas lights the 2nd-4th, and came back home on the 5th. Worked like I always do on Mondays on the 6th. Then it was time for my "weekend." Tuesday, August 7th, two things happened. First, I went to Winston-Salem, my weekly trip up there to dance. Second, when I got home and checked my E-mail, I had, in the mid-afternoon hours (after I had left for the dance of course--a 4 hour one way trip) received my usual "Tuesday before the dance panic E-mail" from the booking person, asking if I could come down and call the dance that Friday. So I immediately started to plan for the dance.

Needless to say, the next time I danced in Charleston was not the 10th, but the 24th. I then danced on September 14th, and played in the band on September 28th. October's dance history, other than LEAF, seems to have escaped me altogether. November was sparse. I called the dance in Winston-Salem on the 13th, and the one in Wilmington on the 24th. I then found myself once again calling the Charleston dance on December 14th, and I was desperately hoping to make the dance on the 28th.

So as late December rolled around, I found myself in a play. And I made plans with the director to hang lights. The only problem was the only night he could work it in at that time was December 28th, so I stayed home and helped him hang lights. And wouldn't you know it? I found out in Mid-January that there was someone from the play who WAS at the dance that night, and it wasn't me (but it was someone who I wouldn't mind dancing with if she wanted to...but I'll stop there in case the Saylors happen upon this blog...I'd never hear the end of it from them).

So, now the play is over, and the second Friday of February is coming up. February 8th. The Hungry Monks are playing, and Joyce and Bob from Savannah are calling. I WILL be there! And I'm contemplating a trip to Columbia on the 9th, too.

I'll post videos of a dance that I called in Beaufort on January 19th in another blog. Actually, I need to get up there again, too. But I'll be in Columbia this Saturday. Maybe for the March dance?

1 comment:

EstherNow said...

I had so much fun Contra Dancing with your group in Charleston over a year ago. (Can you believe it was that long ago?) It's great exercise and lots of fun!

You should start a Contra Dancing blog to extol its virtues! You're a great spokesperson.

I wanted to say "Hi!" to you here and tell you that I'm sorry that I came and went so fast at Fondue's house over Spring Break. It was great to see you, but I was definitely feeling under the weather then. Sorry for the headache. It was good to see you, Kenny!

Hope you're doing well!